To: <mysql@lists.mysql.com>
Sent: Saturday, December 03, 2005 7:05 AM
Subject: Moving databases from backups not working . . .

Greetings all,
I've got some headaches I need to make go away over the weekend. I
used phpMyAdmin to backup some small mysql databases. (So I've got a
bunch of _dbname_.sql files)

I have a different machine with a newer version of MySQL (4.1.13a)
running and configured so that I can connect from the command line (as
-u root) or via phpMyAdmin. I've copied the _dbname_.sql files to the
new server. Now, from the UNIX prompt, I'm doing a:
[terminal]mysql -u root -p emptydatabase < _dbname_.sql[/terminal]
I get no errors, but when I go back to look at the database (using
phpMyAdmin - reloading the page) there are still no tables in
emptydatabase.

What am I doing wrong?

Assuming that I get this part figured out, is it possible to also
update the _mysql_.sql database so that all of the mysql users with
mysql permissions to those databases will be replicated, as I had them
on the other machine?

I should probably mention that phpMyAdmin is on the same machine as
the MySQL 4.1.13a and is connecting via TCP (not socket). I'm logged
into the machine as Admin. My MySQL database directory (/var/mysql)
AND EVERYTHING INSIDE IT has been chown'd to mysql:www. The /var/mysql
directory is 755.

If there is something wrong with my setup/permissions or any other
part of what I'm doing here, please let me know. I have never moved
databases before (obviously).
: \

Thanks in advance for any insights!