Alex Gemmell wrote:
 > Thanks Micheal - yeah, I managed to figure out the CREATE_TMP_TABLE
privilage problem myself.

I should have used those "die on errors" too - will do next time!

To recap here's the working final solution (after MySQL User has CREATE_TMP_TABLES and DROP privilages):

[PHP]
$query1 = "CREATE TEMPORARY TABLE tmpSubquery
    (SELECT * FROM tblactivities
     WHERE Assignment_ID='".$row['Assignment_ID']."'
     ORDER BY Date DESC LIMIT 10);";
mysql_query($query1);

$query2 = "SELECT * FROM tmpSubquery ORDER BY Date ASC;";
$result_activities = mysql_query($query2);

$query3 = "DROP TEMPORARY TABLE tmpSubquery;";
mysql_query($query3);
[/PHP]

Thanks all!

Correction - the "Query1" above failed due to a syntax error. I removed the brackets I (stupidly) added and also the trailing semi-colon (which some people recommeded I do).

After doing that Query1 worked and is now an acceptable way of getting my orginal subquery to work on an old version 4.0 MySQL.

[PHP]
$query1 = "CREATE TEMPORARY TABLE tmpSubquery
    SELECT * FROM tblactivities
     WHERE Assignment_ID='".$row['Assignment_ID']."'
     ORDER BY Date DESC LIMIT 10";
mysql_query($query1);

$query2 = "SELECT * FROM tmpSubquery ORDER BY Date ASC;";
$result_activities = mysql_query($query2);

$query3 = "DROP TEMPORARY TABLE tmpSubquery;";
mysql_query($query3);
[/PHP]

Solved for real!