Duncan Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote on 12/08/2005 06:40:55 AM:

> Is there any built in or other support for recursive queries . I
> suspect not, but wonder what is considered the best approach.
>
> With stored procedures being supported in 5.0 is that the way to handle
these.

> Thanks

> --
> [image removed]
> Duncan Miller
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> www.diymtb.com.au
> 0429 923 962

Limited recursion is being developed (recursion is allowed but limited to
a certain recursion depth). I forget if it is supposed to be in 5.0.16 or
5.0.17 but it is coming.

Normally, SQL queries do not need to be recursive and many that are
designed that way end up running slower than equivalent, non-recursive
queries. I am not saying that non-recursive is preferable to EVERY
situation, just that it sometimes provides greater performance to rejigger
your schema to avoid the need for recursion than it is to build a
recursive database. What is it you are trying to do that requires
recursion?

Shawn Green
Database Administrator
Unimin Corporation - Spruce Pine