[Apologies for my first post here being semi-off-topic!]

I normally deploys apps I develop  (MySQL with Lasso web middleware) with an
ISP, so I have no experience of choosing hardware configurations or sourcing
them.

My current client's application involves a very large amount of data which I
have split into a number of tables. These tables (data files) are currently
between several hundred MB and 2 GB each for 6 1/2 years data, and will grow.
However, tables are not updated in normal use (we can take the app off-line for
updates) - so the data is pretty much read-only.

>From my reading of the manual it seems that disc seek speed is the limiting
>factor once tables get so large that the data and indices cannot be cached in
>RAM. So I believe that the best hardware setup for a dedicated MySQL server
>would include two fast discs striped (RAID 0) for the databases and a third
>separate disc for the operating system.

Does this sound right? (Also thoughts on SCSI versus SATA?)

Second question:

The chap who will probably administer the servers seems to prefer buying Dell,
but AFAIK Dell don't do any 1U servers that would support 3 drives. Can anyone
recommend any server brands available in the UK, or UK based companies that
will build servers, supporting 3 discs (2 RAID & 1 for the OS)?

Many thanks,
James Harvard