Mark Phillips wrote:

2. Generally, what is the most "efficient" way to do this? Is is better to issue more queries that gather the "calculated data" or better to issue one query for the raw data and then do the calculations in Java? I am sure there are many factors that effect the answer to this question - server resources, code design, etc. However, I am interested in a best practices type of answer or general rule of thumb from the sage experts on the list.
Sorry only just spotted the second half.

Processing in MySQL will be faster than pulling the dataset back and processing it. This is particularly true if the database server is remote from the servlet container. The chief reason is that processing it on the client add the time needed to copy the raw data over the network. In Java or C.* data processing performance can be on a par with MySQL once the data is obtained, against an interpreted language such as PHP or Perl the database's performance will always win hands down even if temporary tables are needed.

If the rocket data doesn't change rapidly the MySQL query cache will also improve preformance. This feature speeds things by remembering the answer to your query and replying with a cached version until the rockets table is next updated.

Nigel