I posted this earlier, could someone take a look at it?

TIA,

Bruce.

On Mon, 19 Dec 2005 02:15:54 -0500
 "Bruce Carey" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Hi List,

I have recently had a crash coursh in the fineer points of db recovery due to a mis-managed server.

Could someone help me out with advice on the proper syntax for doing mysqldump? I have a rather large db (4.2GB), and regular dump files get easily corrupted, so I found out, plus LONG restore times. My other problem is that many fields will have \r and \n etc in them, for instance because we store web content. So, I want to do it in this format:

mysqldump --opt --fields-terminated-by='\t' --fields-optionally-enclosed-by='#*#*#' --fields-escaped-by='\' --lines-terminated-by='\n\r' --tab=/Users/theuser/testexport mydb mytable -u root -p

I made up the #*#*# thing because it seemed an unlikely occurrence in any content, but when I tried to re-import the data, I got a msg saying something like "we weren't expecting that field separator". Of course, the syntax f the error message doesn't correspond to any of the enclosure options I used, so....

!) did I do the right thing in the dump statement?

2) what magic should I use to get the data back from the dumps?

3) any and all advice related to ways of making sure I don't have to spend 2 weeks cleaning up my data after a catastrophe like this again.

TIA,

Bruce Carey