One technique that I see a lot on this mailing list is people putting auto-incremented integer primary keys on their tables.

Maybe I'm just "old school" but I've always thought that you should choose a primary key based on data that is actually in the table whenever possible, rather than generating a new value out of thin air.

The only exception that comes to mind is things like ID numbers; for example, it is better to use an internally-generated integer for an employee number than it is to use an employee's name. Even the combination of first name and last name is not necessarily unique - I could cite a real life example -and, of course, people can change their names. That makes names less desireable than a generated value when you are trying to uniquely indentify such entities. In such a case, a nice, reasonable short integer is easier.

I just found this rather good definition of primary keys at http://www.utexas.edu/its/windows/database/datamodeling/dm/keys.html. The relevant bit says that a primary key must have:
- a non-null value for each instance of the entity
- a value that is unique for each instance of an entity
- a value that must not change or become null during the life of the each instance of the entity

That article makes the same basic remarks about name vs. ID but makes the point that it is more commonly the case that table designers will use something like a social security number - an _externally_ generated number - to distinguish between employees rather than an internally-generated number.

But the trend in this mailing list is toward using generated values as primary keys in virtually EVERY table, even when good primary keys can be found in the (non-generated) data already existing in the table.

Now, I haven't done anything remotely resembling a quantified analysis so maybe I'm wildly exaggerating this trend. But I do seem to recall a lot of table descriptions with auto-generated keys and I don't think they were all a name vs. ID scenario....

Has anyone else noticed a similar trend?

If this trend is real, it doesn't seem like a very good trend to me. For example, if you were keeping track of parts in a warehouse, why would anyone make a table that looked like this:
ID (autogenerated PK)     PART_NO    PART_DESCRIPTION
1                                   A01             Widget
2                                    B03            Grapple Grommet
3                                    A02            Snow Shovel
4                                    D11            Whisk
5                                    C04            Duct Tape

when this table is simpler:

PART_NO (PK)   PART_DESCRIPTION
A01                 Widget
B03                Grapple Grommet
A02                Snow Shovel
D11                Whisk
C04                Duct Tape

Would anyone care to convince me that the first version of the table is "better" than the second version in some way?

I just want to be sure that no one has come along with some new and compelling reason to autogenerate keys when perfectly good keys can be found within the data already. I don't mind being "old school" but I don't want to be "out to lunch" :-)

Rhino