Hi All

New to MySQL in that I have never ran a database.

I have Mandrake 10.1 in which I can not connect to because I do not have the
correct MySQL connector but MySQL server is working. Having spent over a week
looking for the correct connector twice -last August and last week - I am
well aware my chance of finding the correct program is not high.

So since I have a number of equivalent computers that I can use for test
computers I promptly downloads SuSE 10.0 and installed it on one.

In the Mandrake box at the root command line and at the user command line I
can enter the command 'mysql' and promptly MySQL starts.

In the SuSE 10.0 and SuSE 9.2 box [which I also have] when I type the command
mysql I get the error message 'Access Denied Can Not Connect to the MySQL
Server - Error 202'.

I have received the identical error message in the Mandrake box in the past
but only when MySQL Server was not installed and I only had MySQL Client
installed.

I then tried to access MySQL by mysqladmin show and received an identical
error message that I am unable to connect.

I have reviewed the connection information on the MySQL Connection page and I
have additionally tried the following logged into the computer as root:

mysql -uroot
mysql -uroot -p<root password>

with identical negative results.

Identical attempts were tried on both the 9.2 and 10.0 SuSE systems immediate
after system installation so there is no possibility of system corruption or
of system modification from initial setup.

Any assistance as to how to start or access MySQL on the SuSE systems would be
appreciates as like I stated above there is NO possibility of MY beingable
to access MySQL by OpenOffice in Mandrake 10.1 due to a Connection issue that
is well above my ability to resolve.

Thanks

SOTL