SOTL <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote on 12/24/2005 06:22:25 PM:

> Hi All
>
> New to MySQL in that I have never ran a database.
>
> I have Mandrake 10.1 in which I can not connect to because I do not have
the
> correct MySQL connector but MySQL server is working. Having spent over a
week
> looking for the correct connector twice -last August and last week - I
am
> well aware my chance of finding the correct program is not high.
>
> So since I have a number of equivalent computers that I can use for test

> computers I promptly downloads SuSE 10.0 and installed it on one.
>
> In the Mandrake box at the root command line and at the user command
line I
> can enter the command 'mysql' and promptly MySQL starts.
>
> In the SuSE 10.0 and SuSE 9.2 box [which I also have] when I type the
command
> mysql I get the error message 'Access Denied Can Not Connect to the
MySQL
> Server - Error 202'.
>
> I have received the identical error message in the Mandrake box in the
past
> but only when MySQL Server was not installed and I only had MySQL Client

> installed.
>
> I then tried to access MySQL by mysqladmin show and received an
identical
> error message that I am unable to connect.
>
> I have reviewed the connection information on the MySQL Connection page
and I
> have additionally tried the following logged into the computer as root:
>
> mysql -uroot
> mysql -uroot -p<root password>
>
> with identical negative results.
>
> Identical attempts were tried on both the 9.2 and 10.0 SuSE systems
immediate
> after system installation so there is no possibility of system
corruption or
> of system modification from initial setup.
>
> Any assistance as to how to start or access MySQL on the SuSE
> systems would be
> appreciates as like I stated above there is NO possibility of MY
beingable
> to access MySQL by OpenOffice in Mandrake 10.1 due to a Connection issue
that
> is well above my ability to resolve.
>
> Thanks
>
> SOTL

Two things you have to understand:

1) MySQL is a database management system. It needs at least two programs
running at the same time to operate. The most important half of this
operation is called "the server" and it actually reads and writes data to
the hard drives and responds to various commands sent to it by any variant
of the second half "the client". The client is any program (one you write
or one that is already written) that communicates with the server to make
various commands or requests.

2) each client must authenticate with the mysql server. That means that
there is another layer of security that is independent from your operating
system. You can login to your operating system under any account you wish
but unless your mysql client can login to the mysql server with a
recognized account, you won't be able permitted to interact with that
server.

Let's break down your errors as you describe them:

> I have Mandrake 10.1 in which I can not connect to because I do not have
the
> correct MySQL connector but MySQL server is working. Having spent over a
week
> looking for the correct connector twice -last August and last week - I
am
> well aware my chance of finding the correct program is not high.

I do not quite understand what you mean by "connector". I think you are
looking for a way to interact with the server. MySQL is prepackaged with a
command line interface that will allow you to run various commands against
the server. I see from your other errors that you have found it already
"mysql". This is the command line interface (a client) that comes with the
mysql server.

> In the Mandrake box at the root command line and at the user command
line I
> can enter the command 'mysql' and promptly MySQL starts.

Not exactly correct. Your client starts and makes a connection to the
server running on that machine. Who you connected as depends on which
options you list and how your configuration file is written. Since you are
new, you probably NOT followed the instructions in the manual on how to
setup or test an installation and you have probably not setup a
configuration file. That means that you will be connected as the user
"[EMAIL PROTECTED]", a default account that you normally get rid of right
away.

If I were you, I would review the documentation and compare the steps you
have performed with the recommended methods of installing MySQL and
testing an installation.

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/4.1/en/installing.html

> In the SuSE 10.0 and SuSE 9.2 box [which I also have] when I type the
command
> mysql I get the error message 'Access Denied Can Not Connect to the
MySQL
> Server - Error 202'.

You can also get this message if the server component is not running (even
if it is installed, that does not guarantee that it is running). Try
following the troubleshooting suggestions located here:

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/4.1/en/can-not-connect-to-server.html

I do not know SuSE or Mandrake at all (I am unlucky enough to work in a
Windows-only environment) so I cannot provide you with more specific
guidance. I am sure that if you make excellent use of the searchable and
indexed manual, there is something in there that can provide you with the
additional information you need to solve all but the most arcane of
problems. Please come back to the list if you have additional problems
interpreting the manual or if you have error messages you cannot resolve
through the documentation.

Merry Christmas!

Shawn Green
Database Administrator