I am running Whitebox linux 4 and have MySql 4 installed.

When I run the mysqld_safe file, mysql starts then immediately stops.

It does give me the message that it is starting with "databases from
/var/lib/mysql"

In the mysqld.log file I see -

"[ERROR] /user/libexec/mysqld: Can't fine file: './mysql/host.frm" (errno: 13)
[ERROR] Fatal error: Can't open privilege tables: Can't find file:
'./mysql/host.frm' errno: 13)"

The file host.frm is in the directory /var/lib/mysql/mysql/

I am logged in as root when I run mysqld_safe.  I have tried it as
with the same result.

This is my first attempt to run mysql on a linux server and I am
hopeful for a few instructions from a more experienced user.

Thank you for any help.

Charles