From: Tripp Bishop [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, January 04, 2006 11:01 AM
To: emierzwa; mysql@lists.mysql.com
Subject: RE: Lost Connection executing query

The query fails instantly so I don't think it's a
timeout issue.

The wait_timeout and interactive_timeout variables are
set to 28800.

The server seems to be crashing and auto restarting
because as you suggested the uptime is small when I do
a show status right after attempting the query.

The schemas are identical and most of the data is the
same.

When I try to rewrite the update as a select I get an
"impossible where clause" when I do an explain on the
select.

It can't be a max packet issue because the actual
query is really small.

The query runs fine on the MAC and takes about 1
second to run.

I could break this update statement up into 4 seperate
update statements but I'd prefer to keep it as one. I
did notice that the MySQL manual suggests running
CHECK TABLE on the table(s) involved but no other
queries that operate against these tables seem to be
having trouble so it seems unlikely that table
corruption would be a problem.

We did recently upgrade the server from 4.0.40 to
5.0.15 and we did not dump the tables and reimport
them. On the MAC we did do a dump and reimport. I
wonder if that could be the cause of this problem. I
had forgetten about that important difference.

Cheers,

Tripp

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/gone-away.html