Jay Paulson (CE CEN) wrote:
This helps a ton! Thanks! I didn' tknow about the INET_NTOA() or the
INET_ATON() functions. That is much quicker to query on them than on a char set
of ips. However, I did notice on the mysql web site that these functions are
only available in 5.x but the way the page is set up I'm a little confused if
this is true or not. I'm running 4.1.x and it would be nice to have those
functions.

The page below is where I found information about the function.
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/miscellaneous-functions.html

Thanks!

Change the "5.0" to "4.1" in the URL to see the relevant page:

<http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/4.1/en/miscellaneous-functions.html>

You will discoverr that INET_NTOA() and INET_ATON() were added to mysql way back in version 3.23.15.

Unfortunately, the 5.0 version of the manual has no mention of when things were added to mysql in previous versions. You have to look at the 4.1 version of the manual for that. I suppose the reasoning is that the 5.0 manual is for only the one version of mysql, while the 4.1 manual is for versions 3.23, 4.0, and 4.1 combined, but I find it a real pain, and it seems to confuse people into thinking old things first arrived in 5.0.

Michael