Hello.

Chris, the collation is subordinated to the character set. You should
work with the character sets, and only after with collations. The data
which you store in your table is silently converted to ascii character
set. Are you sure that the characters which you want to store are
present in ascii character set? You should change the character set
of the fields of your table to that one which can hold non English
characters. Another question - are you sure that the data which you're
passing to MySQL is in latin1 encoding? See:
  http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/charset-connection.html
  http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/charset-general.html

How to change the character set of the fields is described at:
  http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/alter-table.html

       <___/   www.mysql.com