Hi Philip. I'm wondering if you have mysql server version
3.23.49 still running on your machine?

If so, version 5 would not start up, as it would not
be allowed access to port 3306.

Try doing

my_print_defaults mysqld

and my_print_defaults client mysql

from a root shell and see what values you get returned.

HTH

Keith

In practice they are not.