Comma separated JOINS strikes again!!!
[...]
Here is where you will find this change documented in the manual:
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/upgrading-from-4-1.html
I read that page over and over again... probably too late at night. thanks for that info. Thanks to Peter, too. I made that select out of an multi-table update that hung in the processlist. That query came out of a very old script floating around... I found a few more and modified the updates, i think I shouldn't have that problem any more. I think nobody over here ever used "comma-joins" except for those few times. At least I hope so. ;)

but that was only part of my problems, my replication still hangs every now and then... I'd be glad if you could have a look at my other postings "5.0.18-max-log as a slave of a 4.1.13-standard-log master problem - slave hangs".
Maybe you have any ideas what I could try to get this working...

thanks
Jan