The manual is large and vast, I couldn't find the text you quoted on
the page I sent. What page did you find that text on?

As well, if the key that EXPLAIN uses is multi-part, you would know
from the length of the fields.  You have to use some deductive
reasoning, but I don't think it's really murky....*shrug*

-Sheeri