A neverending story.
I thought it worked (without having an idea what has been the problem), but it broke down again after a few hours.
My current set up is:

-A p4 production server (Server1) running debian linux, 2.4 kernel, mysql 4.1.13-standard-log. This server is replicating to several other production-servers. -Two new Dual-Opteron Servers (Server2+Server3) with 6GB RAM each, 3ware SATA-RAID, custom kernel 2.6.15.1 SMP, mysql 5.0.18-max-log.

Server2 is replicating from Server1 with a few Replicate_Ignore_DB/Replicate_Wild_Ignore_Table rules. I have had problems getting this server running at first since it always hung with replicated queries (different ones) and the only thing helped was to kill -9 the mysqld. At some point it suddenly worked and is running for almost a week now - having replicated at least 20-30GB so far. Server 3 was supposed to become a slave of the first one, but it shows the same problems I had with Server2 at first: it starts to replicate and some query hangs after a few minutes. These are no complicated mass-inserts (those 1-5MB mass-inserts work without trouble), but simple queries like "insert into table (a,b,c) values (1,2,3)" or "update table set a=1 where b=2".

I tried kernel 2.6.8, 2.6.15, SMP and non-SMP (debian-kernels and self-compiled), the official mysql-max and mysql-standard-binaries and a self-compiled mysql 5.0.18. I disabled Innodb and Cluster, I put all variables back to the standard values and played around with lots of settings. lspci and the output of /proc/cpuinfo are the same on both servers. I have exactly the same BIOS-settings on both servers (I was going nuts comparing these bios-screens with a KVM in a loud server-room). Both servers have exactly the same debian-packages installed. lsmod shows the same on both systems.

I have had trouble with mysql-replication in 3.2x and 4.x in the last years, but I always got everything working and it was was working good without bigger trouble once it was up and running. But this time I have no clue what else to try.

I currently have no other server that is powerful enough to handle all the updates being replicated in order to test a 5.0.18 on some other CPU. I'll probably try to get my workstation (p4 3ghz, 1GB RAM) running as a slave hoping the IDE-disk is fast enough, but no matter if that works or not - I don't know what to change/try on my new servers?!?

any ideas anybody?
thanks
Jan

Jan Kirchhoff schrieb:
I thought I found the reason for my problems with the change in "join"-behaviour in mysql 5, but Iwas wrong :( there is more trouble :(

my replications hangs with simple queries like "insert into table (a,b,c) values (1,2,3)" on a myisam-table. It just hangs forever with no cpu-load on the slave. I have to kill and restart mysql with the following commands:

killall -9 mysqld;sleep 2;mysqladmin shutdown;sleep 5;/etc/init.d/mysql start;sleep 2;mysql -e 'slave start'

I can find the changed row in the table, so the query was processed correctly. Then it runs again for some time and hangs again with some other simple insert.

I disabled innodb, cluster, took out all my variables out of my.cnf except max_allowed_packet = 16M which I need for the replication to work and I have no clue what the reason for my problem is.

what else could I try?