I had the same from SuSE 6.3

what I had to do was download and install:

http://www.mysql.com/Downloads/MySQL-3.23/MySQL-client-3.23.38-1.i386.rpm

and

http://www.mysql.com/Downloads/MySQL-3.23/MySQL-devel-3.23.38-1.i386.rpm

as well.

removing the originals via yast

if i remember i had a few glitches with dependencies with the rpm's.

also try checking your /etc/hosts if you have multiple ip addresses on same machine.
SuSEConfig messes about with it if you have
check.beutify hosts set in /etc/rc.config.

i had to inevitably reset my root password as well.

tworked after that!

David Simmons
EliteUKServe.Net