When we migrated to MySQL from MS SQL, I left everything set to the
default as far as collations - latin1_swedish_ci.  This was based on
digging through the manual and google.  But now I am migrating the
application to a newer version of ColdFusion and am running into some
issues with charsets on some ColdFusion functions.  I am wondering if my
database charset has anything to do with it.

What do other people usually do as far as the collation setting?

We are in the US, but do have a few sites that make use of German and
Spanish characters.

Thanks,
-Ryan