Daevid,

----- Original Message ----- From: ""Daevid Vincent"" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Newsgroups: mailing.database.myodbc
Sent: Saturday, March 04, 2006 9:54 AM
Subject: Boolean searches on InnoDB tables?

I just discovered this:
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/fulltext-boolean.html
Which states:
"They can work even without a FULLTEXT index, although a search executed in
this fashion would be quite slow. "

But then I'm kicked in the nuts because:
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/fulltext-search.html
"Full-text indexes can be used only with MyISAM tables"

When I try a query on an InnoDB table:

"SELECT * FROM categories WHERE MATCH (name) AGAINST ('+ELECTRONICS' IN
BOOLEAN MODE);"

I get:
"Error Code : 1214
The used table type doesn't support FULLTEXT indexes"

So, what is the deal? Am I missing something?

And if I can't use boolean searches on InnoDB tables with mySQL 5.0.18,
Then WHEN will I be able to?

Osku is working on FULLTEXT for InnoDB.

In the mean time, what is the best way to generate this equivallent
functionality via PHP or some other mySQL 5 sanctioned way? I've seen
several different examples on the web, but don't know which to commit to.

You could look at Sphinx, for exapmple.

Best regards,

Heikki

Oracle Corp./Innobase Oy
InnoDB - transactions, row level locking, and foreign keys for MySQL

InnoDB Hot Backup - a hot backup tool for InnoDB which also backs up MyISAM tables
http://www.innodb.com/order.php