I have some questions regarding InnoDB indices.

Say I have a table with millions of records. On of the fields is a type
field that has a possible value of 1,2,3, or 4. I sometimes query by the
type field and may at other times order on it.

Do queries benefit from an index with this low of a selectivity?

If through the query browser I find that they do, should I increase the
selectivity of the index by making it a compound index and adding my
Primary Key to the TYPE index?

If I make it a compound index, does it have any positive impact on
INSERT, UPDATE, or maybe just DELETE?

R.