looks a bit strange to me.

> $result = mysql_query($query) or die('Query couldn\'t
> executed:'.mysql_error());

please try something like this:

// build the query - (that's OK)
$query = "UPDATE members SET email_verified='X' WHERE
logon_id='" .$logonid. "'";

// send the query to the server - save the result resource
$res = mysql_query($query);

// test for the result of the above query
if(!$res)
  {
  // stop the script if the result is not valid
  die('Query couldn\'t be executed:'.mysql_error());
  }

// process a valid result
$row = mysql_fetch_array($res)

if (mysql_num_rows($res) == 1)
  {
  // the user id and password match,
  print("User id on db");
  }
else
  {
  //$errorMessage = 'Sorry, wrong user id / password';
  print("Sorry, wrong user id / password");
  }

I've not tested this - but it looks like you are mixing sending the
mysql query and testing for the result of the query at the same time,
which AFAIK is not possible.

Maybe you need to get a simple introductory book on php, such as O'reillys
php pocket reference, ISBN 0596-00402-8.

Regards

Keith

In practice they are not.

On Sun, 12 Mar 2006, fbsd_user wrote:

> To: Mysql <mysql@lists.mysql.com>
> From: fbsd_user <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject: Checking for good update
>
> Using this code I get this error message.
>
> Warning: mysql_num_rows(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL
> result resource in /usr/local/www/data/mls_verifyemail.php on line

Probably because you are not sending a valid query to the server,
you will not be getting a valid result resource back from the server.