I am building mysql5 latest from source on Solaris.

The location of the options file is very confusing and does not work
according to the online documentation.  For example, I have --basedir
of /opt/csw/mysql5 and --datadir of /opt/csw/mysql5/var.  If I put
my.cnf in datadir or in basedir, the file is not used.  I am using
mysqld_safe to start mysqld.  my.cnf options will only work if I put
the file in /etc/

'./libexec/mysqld --verbose --help' returns:
Default options are read from the following files in the given order:
/etc/my.cnf ~/.my.cnf

This is very different from my mysql4 builds from source, which include
the documented server-specific file listed after /etc/my.cnf

How can I get mysql5 to use a server-specfic options file?  Am I
missing a configure option or defines for mysql5?

Thanks,

Alex