Thanks, Jeremy,

Best answer I've seen yet - and I've searched a lot of docs! - but, naturally
it raises other questions <grin />.

If I don't need to upgrade the PHP engine, is there some extension dll that I
should seek?  For instance, to use Apache 2.x with PHP, we need to use the
php4apache2.dll.  Is there an equivalent for MySQL?  As mentioned, I need to
stick with the configuration the server will have, but, unfortunately, I don't
get to see just what they have set up, and I can't access the core MySQL tables
to see what they might have done there, nor the libraries set for PHP - unless
they show in PHPInfo.

Too many times have I seen perfect products on a developer's box crater when
placed on the server, and I'd sorta kinda like to avoid that, ya know?  Getting
kinda close to the wire on this project, and while progressing on the
reasonable expectation that local issues won't affect code placed on the
server, there's always that niggling little doubt <groan />.

Anyway, thanks for the response.  It makes sense to me - sometimes a difficult
thing <grin /> - and gives me a new direction to search ... after a few "Why
didn't I think of that?" head smacks <chortle />.

Make a good day ...
                                ... barn