I'm just starting with mysql. I've got it going but am running into
difficulties working through 2.9.2 of the user's manual. Specifically
I'm having problems with where commands on pp 115ff are run from.

(I'm running Fedora Core 4 and  Ver 8.41 Distrib 4.1.11, for
redhat-linux-gnu on i386).

I figured out that mysqladmin runs from my [EMAIL PROTECTED] prompt, without
the bin/.

I also got mysql show to run from there.  But then I tried 'mysqlshow
mysql' and it wouldn't run. Nor would it run when I logged on as
(system) root.  (It's terribly confusing to know when 'root' refers to
MySQL root and when to the system root.) I get this result:

[EMAIL PROTECTED] ~]$ mysqlshow
+-----------+
| Databases |
+-----------+