----- Original Message ----- From: "Zsolt" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Tuesday, March 21, 2006 2:58 AM
Subject: How to shutdown mysql from Java

Hi,

my application starts mysqld (via Runtime.getRuntime().exec) and I would
like to stop it also from Java (because of technical reasons I cannot use
mysqladmin).

What is the best way stop shutdown mysqld?

1. FLUSH TABLES

2. Process.destroy()

3. kill PID auf Unix

What do you think?

Most database management systems, like MySQL and DB2, are designed to run 24 X 7 with occasional breaks for maintenance like taking backups. Why do you want start and start MySQL from an application? Isn't this going to preclude most of the users from using it? After all, databases usually have large numbers of users, not just one.

--
Rhino