You could create a tmp table with the max bids and then join on
that. Something like:

CREATE TEMPORARY TABLE max_bids
    SELECT auto_id, MAX(bid_amount) AS max_bid_amount
    FROM bids
    GROUP BY auto_id;
SELECT dealer_id, b1.auto_id, bid_amount FROM bids b1, max_bids b2
    WHERE b1.auto_id = b2.auto_id
    AND bid_amount=max_bid_amount
    AND auto_dealer_id = '3' AND Bid_Status = '1';

mark
--

Please Note:

Any views or opinions are solely those of the author and do not necessarily
represent
This email and any files attached are confidential and intended solely for the
use of the individual
or entity to which they are addressed.
If you have received this email in error, please notify [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Please note that to ensure regulatory compliance and for the protection of our
clients and business,

Thank You.