Hello Barbara,

> When does constraint checking occur?
>
> I can create a table that has a constraint on a column that doesn't exist.
I would expect an error on the table creation, but the table gets created
successfully.

+---------+-----------------------------------------------------------------
------------------+

+---------+-----------------------------------------------------------------
------------------+

+---------+-----------------------------------------------------------------
------------

> mysql> create table barbconstr (col1 int(11), constraint ts_con5 check
(product.
> junk > 0));
> Query OK, 0 rows affected (2.63 sec)
>

> I expected this to fail with a column "junk" doesn't exist, type of
message.

MySQL doesn't support check constraints.

It supports the syntax to create one, but fully ignores whatever you put
in there. This is a "let's make the scripts compatible with other systems"
feature.

> The question is, why is this valid?  I hate to mention it, but this is who
I have to compare my apps behavior to, SQL Server will return the error:
> [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]Invalid column 'COL7' is
specified in a constraint or computed-column definition.

Martijn Tonies
Upscene Productions
http://www.upscene.com
My thoughts: