Thanks for coming to the rescue, Mark and Bruce.

Mark Leith wrote:
This is actually for Linux/Unix, not Windows.

What error do you get from MySQL when trying to log in? Does the mysqld(-nt) process show within Task Manager? What does the new error log say?

You may need to reset permissions:

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/resetting-permissions.html

Or you may need to set the appropriate datadir / basdir etc. depending on how you set up MySQL:

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/server-system-variables.html

Best regards

Mark

Adrian Bruce wrote:

not sure, but it may be worth trying the following

run the script:
mysql_install_db --user=root
In the installation dir

this should change ownership and make mysql recognise the data dir.

good luck
Ade

Foo Ji-Haw wrote:

Hi all,

My Windows-based database server crashed (no fault of MySQL. probably OS or hardware), and I managed to copy out the data files. I am using version 5.0 of the Essentials package.

I tried to install a similar setup on another server, then copy the data\ folder over. The MySQL service starts, but I am not able to login, even as root.

Is there anyone who can advise me on the recovery steps?

Appreciate your feedback!