Eugene Kosov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote on 03/23/2006 07:03:15 AM:

> Hi, everyone!
>
> I have transfer user's database and grants from one mysql server
> (4.1.15) to an older one (4.0.26). I don't know user's password and have

> only it's hash. How can I convert hashed password stored in
> mysql.user.password field to the 4.0 format? Is there something similar
> to OLD_PASSWORD(), but with 4.1's hashed password as a parameter?
>
> Any links, man references, etc. are welcome!
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> --
> Regards,
> Eugene Kosov.

If such a function actually exists, it invalidates the premise that
password hashes are only one-way. The algorithms (both pre-4.1 and
post-4.1)  for generating password hashes are intended to be one-way
hashes. Unless you have the original plain-text password, you should not
be able to transfer your existing 4.1 users onto the 4.0.26 system. You
will need to create new accounts on your 4.0.26 system for the old user
names and let them reset their passwords.

Sorry! but it's designed to be this way.

Shawn Green
Database Administrator
Unimin Corporation - Spruce Pine