I just tried upgrading from MySQL 4.0 to 5.0 on my Slackware Linux system, but whenever I try to start the new service it immediately exits and the only error it logs is:

/usr/libexec/mysqld: File '/var/log/mysql.000001' not found (Errcode: 13)
[ERROR] Could not use /var/log/mysql for loggins (error 13). Turning logging off for the whole duration of the MySQL server process.
[ERROR] Aborting

If I touch the file, the error is for mysql.000002, then mysql.000003. What would be causing this, and how should I go about fixing it? Any help would be much appreciated, thanks.

Regards,
David P. Donahue
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.cyber0ne.com