Hi folks,

I have MySQL 5.0.18 running like a charm on Win2K as a service. I've been connecting to it willy-nilly, creating databases and querying the daylights out of it. Working just dandy.

I'm trying to run the MySQL monitor in a DOS box and having no luck. I open a DOS box, and no matter what command I run, I do not get the nifty mysql> prompt that I can get on my Linux machine. Here are some permutations and the results (or lack thereof):

c:\mysql\bin> mysql -u root -p
mysql: unknown variable 'log-general.log'

c:\mysql\bin> mysqld
(no response, just another DOS prompt)

c:\mysql\bin> mysqld-nt
(again, no response, just another DOS prompt)

Watching Task Manager while I do this provides no new data. I still just see mysqld-nt running as a process.

I'm stuck here - no error messages to search on (the mysql error message didn't turn up any results on a specialized search on mysql.com or general google search). I also searched my yearlong stash of mailing messages and had no luck there either.

The doc (section 3.1 - Connecting/Disconnecting to the server) said nothing.

Any suggestions?

Whil