I'm trying to run the MySQL monitor in a DOS box and having no luck. I open a DOS box, and no matter what command I run, I do not get the nifty mysql> prompt that I can get on my Linux machine. Here are some permutations and the results (or lack thereof):

c:\mysql\bin> mysql -u root -p
mysql: unknown variable 'log-general.log'

I tried downloading the latest zipped binaries (5.0.19) and put them in a temp dir. After turning off the current running MySQL service, I ran the mysqld binary:

c:\temp\bin> mysql --console

This worked fine - told me server was up and waiting. Then I opened a second DOS box, ran mysql -u root, and was greeted with my desired mysql> prompt.

Then, I go back to my original installation:

 C:\mysql\bin>mysqld --console
 060327 18:51:04 [Warning] options --log-slow-admin-statements and
 w-queries is not set
 060327 18:51:05 [Note] mysqld: ready for connections.
 Version: '5.0.15'  socket: ''  port: 3306  Official MySQL binary

Finally, I go to a second DOS box and this happens:

 C:\mysql\bin>mysql -u root -p
 mysql: unknown variable 'log=general.log'
 C:\mysql\bin>

I should have gotten the mysql> prompt.

1. I don't understand what I did this time (mysqld --console) that gets the server to work that didn't work before. (I thought the --console option was just an aid, not a requirement to connect to the server.)

2. I'm guessing there's setting in my original installation that doesn't exist in the temp version. Don't know what, though, nor how to fix it.

Whil