Do you have some sort of visual process manager for Mac OS X
that can tell you at a glance if mysqld_safe and mysql
server are actually running in memory?

Under linux I use a program called qps.

http://www.student.nada.kth.se/~f91-men/qps/

You may already have a similar utility to view running
processes under Mac OS X. Or there may be something similar
you can download for free off the net.

You really need some way of verifying that mysqld is
actually running in memory, before attempting to connect to
it.

This is handy for showing running multiple servers, ie when
upgrading to a newer version. You can see the port and
socket each mysqld is listening to, plus other server
directives such as the data directory and PID.

I start mysqld directly with a bash shell script:

#! /bin/sh
#
# start the MySQL database server

/usr/local/mysql-5.0.18/bin/mysqld \
--defaults-file=/usr/local/mysql-5.0.18/my.cnf \
--port=7000 \
--socket=/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock \
--pid=/var/lib/mysql/laptop.pid \
--user=mysql \
--datadir=/var/lib/mysql &

and stop it with:

#! /bin/sh
#
# stop the MySQL database server

/usr/local/mysql-5.0.18/bin/mysqladmin shutdown \
-uXXXXXX -pXXXXXX
--socket=/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock

If I don't use the script to pass parameters to mysqld but
add them to my.cnf, they will not appear in qps process
manager.

I have noticed that sometimes mysqld_safe script would
start, and be in memory, but the mysqld server was not being
loaded into memory for some reason, which obviuosly meant I
could not connect to the mysql server.

For that reason I no longer use mysqld_safe to start mysqld.

HTH

Keith

in practice they are not.