Here are some screen snapshots of qps showing mysql server
running on my machine.

I tries to post these to the list, but they went over the
file size limit for the mailing list.

Showing mysql running in memory without using mysqld_safe script:
http://www.karsites.net/KAR/websites/pub/computing/mysql-running/mysqld1.jpg

First part of command-line parameters passed to mysqld:
http://www.karsites.net/KAR/websites/pub/computing/mysql-running/mysqld2.jpg

Second part of command-line parameters passed to mysqld:
http://www.karsites.net/KAR/websites/pub/computing/mysql-running/mysqld3.jpg

Regards

Keith

in practice they are not.