Barry <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote on 04/06/2006 03:52:53 AM:

> Mark Sargent wrote:
> > Hi All,
> >
> > I have the job of creating a DB for an online clothing company. I have

> > some experience with relational design and sql and php. I'm stumped as

> > they have products that contain numerous attributes, and are wishing
> > get away, if possible, with entering separate records for each and
every
> > product that has different ones. I will list below some example
products
> > and their attributes.
> >
> > Shirts:
> > neck
> > body_length
> > shoulder_length
> > chest
> > waist
> > sleeve
> > cuff
> > color
> >
> > Pants:
> > waist
> > under_crotch_length
> > upper_crotch_length
> > upper_crotch_back_length
> > upper_leg_length
> > lower_leg_length
> >
> > Jacket:
> > body_length
> > shoulder_length
> > chest
> > waist
> > sleeve
> >
> > Belts:
> > body_length
> > body_width
> > waist_length
> > buckle_length
> > buckle_length
> > holes
> > sleeve_length
> >
> > below is a link to what they have on Ebay at the moment,
> >
> > http://cgi.ebay.com/DOLCE-GABBANA-PEACE-
> Jeans-48_W0QQitemZ7757125046QQcategoryZ11483QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem
> >

> > keep in mind, I have only listed attributes above, not the actual
table
> > designs. They deal with a lot of variety within brands etc. Anyone got

> > any solutions for this? I haven't started on a basic design yet, but
am
> > looking to do that soon. I f i can minimize their record input, that'd

> > be great Cheers.
> >
> > Mark.
>
> Uhm.
> My solution would be 3 Databases where one has ID,Attrib_object_id,
> Attrib_name_id, Attrib_value
>
> And the other two would be an attrib database and an object databse.
>
> Yep, something like that.

I think you meant to type "tables" not "databases" -  :-0  But we knew
what you meant...  ;-)

> --
> Smileys rule (cX.x)C --o(^_^o)
> Dance for me! ^(^_^)o (o^_^)o o(^_^)^ o(^_^o)

I agree with the basic design: one table for all of your basic objects
(shirts, pants, coats, shoes, etc), one table for all of your attributes
(see Barry's response), a sku table equating objects (differentiated by
their attributes) and their inventory quantities (on hand, backordered,
etc), and one more to relate SKU to all applicable attributes.

Each SKU represents one combination of a base object with a particular set
of attributes. IT's the SKU number that important for inventory control
and that will uniquely identify a size 8 pair of jeans from a size 9 pair
or a pair of black size 8s from a pair of red size 8s all in the same
style (cut) from the same manufacturer

It's a time-tested inventory control model used by all but the smallest of
retailers.

Shawn Green
Database Administrator
Unimin Corporation - Spruce Pine