From: "Elias" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <mysql@lists.mysql.com>
Cc: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Saturday, April 08, 2006 10:20 AM
Subject: Web Farm Design

We are currently building a webfarm to replace our all in one box solution. We are experiencing problems when we get linked to a site like the drudgereport and we are seeing 1000's of hits a minute. Both apache and mysql start chocking and we get dropped because we cant deliver content. I am trying to understand what is the best way to redeploy our Mysql.

I am thinking of two possible designs, if feasible. The clients are read only there is no inserting or deleting. The database is updated nightly from a single source.

Fig 1
                                               _____________
                                               |     http            |
                                               |    Mysql          |
                                               |____________|
                                               _____________
                                               |     http              |
_______      ____________   |     Mysql          |         _____________
| PIX | | Load Balance | |____________| | | | | ---| |-- ___________------| SAN | |_______| |___________ | | http | |____________ |
                                               |    Mysql          |
                                               |____________|
                                               _____________
                                               |     http            |
                                               |    Mysql          |
                                               |_____________|

In Fig 1 I am thinking that each server runs both apache and the mysql
engine and the database files will live on the SAN. Is this possible? can
multiple engines talk to one database file on the SAN?

Fig 2
                                               _____________
                                               |     http            |
                                               |                       |
                                               |_____________|
                                               _____________
                                               |     http            |
_______      _____________       |                       |
_____________     ______________
|  PIX     |     | Load Balance |      |_____________|         |
|     |                       |
| | ---| |------ _____________ -------| Mysql |---- | SAN
|_______|    |____________ |       |     http            |
|____________ |    |_____________ |
                                               |                       |
                                               |_____________|

In fig 2 the 3 apache servers would query the single myql server.

All the data and scripts would live on the SAN. Or would it be better and
faster to have the data live on the mysql server and the scripts live on the
SAN?

We are going to deploy HP proliant ml 585 with quad AMD 2.2 Opterons with 12
gigs of ram. With that in mind how many mysql sessions can I be able to
support?

Any suggestions, comments, thoughts of clarity would be greatly appreciated.

Regards to all,
Michael

believed to be clean.