On 09.04.2006 20:02 (+0100), Eric Braswell wrote:
> I'm going to assume you are using some kind of Unix-like platform.

Correct, it's a Debian Linux x86.

> When
> you connect to localhost, you are actually connecting by default through
> a Unix socket file, not TCP/IP, because it is much faster. Thus it is
> perfectly possible to do what you outline without having to specify
> multiple IPs in the bind-address option. External connections will use
> TCP/IP, internal will use a unix socket file.

I know this strange behaviour, but it's not working for me. Because I'm
running two servers, I needed to alter the socket names so that in the
end, clients won't find the default socket location anymore. So I'm not
connecting to "localhost" but to "127.0.0.1", which works again.

> If you wanted to use -only- the unix socket file to connect to a
> particular instance, thus completely disallowing external connections,
> you can use the skip-networking option.

None of the MySQL servers should not be reachable by TCP/IP at all, so
skip-networking is not what I'm looking for.

>  > Or is there another way to only allow certain users to connect from
>  > localhost?
>
> Of course. Grant privileges only to connect to localhost.

You mean say "localhost" as hostname for the GRANT command? From my
experience (which is actually not so clear in this) this doesn't work.
Granting access only for connections from "localhost" when connecting to
the server actually from the same host but through its external
IP/hostname, it won't let me in. Need to test it further. I guess the
correct way would be to allow access from the external IP of the server?

--
Yves Goergen "LonelyPixel" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
"This message represents the official view of the voices in my head."