select [what you want]
 from t1
 LEFT JOIN t2 ON t2.id = t1.id
 LEFT JOIN t3 ON t3.id = t1.id
 LEFT JOIN t4 ON t4.id = t1.id
 LEFT JOIN t5 ON t5.id = t1.id
 LEFT JOIN t6 ON t6.id = t1.id
 where
    t2.text like '%search_term%' OR t3.text like '%search_term%' OR
    t4.text like '%search_term%' OR t5.text like '%search_term%' OR
    t6.text like '%search_term%' ORDER BY t1.id ASC;

That's the one! Thanks so much, Barry - looks like I've a lot still to learn. :-) I had a sneaking feeling the answer might lie in left join, but nowhere in my otherwise excellent MySQL book (it's the one for version 3 by Paul DuBois), nor in any online docs I could find, could I see how to combine more than one.

This works like a charm anyway - thanks again. Not only that, but I /think/ I understand it. ;-)

--
Cheers... Chris
Highway 57 Web Development -- http://highway57.co.uk/

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch?
   -- W.C. Fields