Actually that is incorrect syntax...the following is the correct syntax
to ensure that mysqld is running at boot in the different run levels:

/sbin/chkconfig --level 345 mysqld on

as it is a daemon, you need to use 'mysqld' not mysql, and you also need
to pass to chkconfig the runlevels you desire the daemon to start in.

to start/stop/restart at anytime use the following:

/sbin/service mysqld {start|stop|restart}
HTH

Bruce Ferrell wrote:

> login as root. Use:
>
>  chkconfig --list mysql
>
> to determin if it on, if it's not on issue:
>
>  chkconfig mysql on.
>
> That will make sure that mysql starts at boot time.  To start mysql
> manually use:
>
>  service mysql start
>
> Steve West wrote:
> >
> > I'm trying to figure out how to get mysql to startup automatically after
> > rebooting the server?
> >
> > I have a Redhat 7.0 box and I placed a file to call up the mysql.server auto
> > startup script as follows:
> >
> > /etc/rc.d/init.d/mysql
> >
> > which has the following code:
> >
> > /bin/sh -c 'cd /usr/local/mysql ; ./bin/safe_mysqld --user=mysql &'
> >
> > I also made sure that mysql.server file is executable.
> >
> > Any ideas on how to get the mysql to startup?
> >
> > P.S. I'm still new to linux and would appreciate any help! :)
> >
> > Thanks!
> >
> > SW

> --
> Bruce
>
> One day at a time... One second if that's what it takes

Michael B. Weiner, Linux+, Linux+ SME
Systems Administrator/Partner
The UserFriendly Network (UFN)
--
Linux Registered User #94900    Have you been counted?
http://counter.li.org

PGP: 30 1D CC BA 30 30 63 35  CD 58 E0 89 A9 17 CC C0  8C 55 F7 72