Hi Taco - interesting thread.

Did you rebuilt the FullText indexes after restarting the
server?

>From the 5.0.18 manual pages:

12.7.5. Fine-Tuning MySQL Full-Text Search

<quote>
Most full-text variables described in this section must be
set at server startup time. A server restart is required to
change them; they cannot be modified while the server is
running.

Some variable changes require that you rebuild the FULLTEXT
indexes in your tables. Instructions for doing this are
given at the end of this section.

The minimum and maximum lengths of words to be indexed are
defined by the ft_min_word_len and ft_max_word_len system
variables. (See Section 5.2.2, Server System Variables.)

The default minimum value is four characters; the default
maximum is version dependent. If you change either value,
you must rebuild your FULLTEXT indexes.

For example, if you want three-character words to be
searchable, you can set the ft_min_word_len variable by
putting the following lines in an option file:

[mysqld]
ft_min_word_len=3

Then you must restart the server and rebuild your FULLTEXT
indexes. Note particularly the remarks regarding myisamchk
in the instructions following this list.
</quote>

Regards

Keith

in practice they are not.