Hi,

> Yeah - I think the playground is unlikely to happen. They certainly
> haven't said anything about providing such a facility.

If they don't give a test machine, or don't provide a smooth migration
(like installing a new server, and keeping the old one running 3.23),
you should consider complaining (loudly !)...
My provider upgraded from 3.23 to 4.1, and there was still few
glitches (missing grants for temporary tables, lock,and still no
InnoDB).

> What I'm banking on is that my own usage of MySQL so far (I'm
> learning, I'm learning!) is sufficiently primitive that it won't be
> upset too much by the change!

Have a serious look at :
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/4.1/en/upgrading-from-3-23.html
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/4.1/en/upgrading-from-4-0.html
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/upgrading-from-4-1.html

There is many things likely to break, CONCAT, display of Timestamp,
default values for timestamp, precedence for left join, and so on...