Create 3 my.cnf files with different ports and sockets:

[mysqld]
port     = 3306
socket=/var/lib/mysql/mysql1.sock

Launch server with:
bin/safe_mysqld --defaults-file=/usr/local/mysql/bin/my1.cnf

client:
/usr/local/mysql/bin/mysql -S /var/lib/mysql/mysql1.sock

stop:
mysqladmin -S /var/lib/mysql/mysql1.sock shutdown

I  run MySql 4 & 5 in the same CPU. (different databases).

Santino Cusimano