Hi,

This question is about tuning the innodb_buffer_pool_size in an experiment
related to my earlier post. I am running MySQL 4.1.11 with innoDB on
RedHatEnterprise Linux, kernel 2.6.9-22. The  table contains 50M records,
with a total data_length of 9GB and index_length of 9.5GB. I measured
repeatedly the query latency of 50000 randomly selected records. The latency
remains relatively small and are about the same regardless of whether I
restart MySQL or not. As pointed out earlier by Philippe, this could be
caused by hitting the FS cache.

1) Does that mean the MySQL innodb_buffer_pool_size setting will virtually
have no effect at all? (if it  is true, then it should happen quite
commonly). In my test, I tried to change the innodb_buffer_pool_size from
its default value (8MB) to half of the physical memory (4GB). I found almost
no difference in latency in these two cases.

2) The free command shows the following information. Is it valid to infer
that the FS caches about 6.6G of the total 9.5G index file for the innodb
table? (assuming the server is dedicated to mysql)

%free
                   total       used       free     shared    buffers
cached
Mem:       8162048    7589836     572212          0     184572    6591900
-/+ buffers/cache:     813364    7348684
Swap:      2097144        160    2096984

Thanks!

Charles