The battle has been fought before - and the list administrator has given
his reasons why he has not made the requested change. The way the list
currently behaves is not an accident or omission, but a deliberate
decision. I do not recall the grounds for that decision - maybe RFCs or
the behaviour of certain email clients (which probably does not include
your own), or maybe the fact that an individual reply is often very
difficult if the default is group reply but no the other way round. But
before asking for a change, I suggest you go back into the archives and
find out why the administrator decided as he did, and prepare a refutation
for his argument at that time, not a general complaint that it doesn't
suit your personal needs.

        Alec

"Andy Eastham" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
18/04/2006 13:16

<mysql@lists.mysql.com>
cc

Subject
RE: Reply / Return Address of this List

Yes this battle has been fought before.  But this is still a pain in the
ass.

Whilst the list is unmoderated, surely someone at MySQL has the capacity
make a change to the server configuration of whatever hosts the list?

How many times has someone had their problem solved by someone who
accidentally emailed them direct, rather than via the list.  So the
solution
was never seen by anyone else and never made the archives.  Hence the same
question gets asked again...  and again...

I know I've accidentally emailed suggestions to people directly a number
of
times because of this (I, like many, many others pragmatically use MS
outlook), and invariably the only reason I even find this out is when the
person thanks me directly rather than through the list.

Come on, let's move into the nineties and sort this out.

Andy