Tim,

I did this for a large collection of images, ~1million images up around 40 gigs total last time I checked (no longer involved in the project). It worked very well, performance was not horrible compared to file-based storage. I always feared that MyISAM table getting corrupted and having to run a myisamcheck. The backup was a bit tricky too, had to have the data replicated elsewhere because it took over an hour to backup and we couldn't have the table locked up that long on production.

There was a good discussion about this on this weblog recently:
http://sheeri.com/archives/39

No experience with document mangement system. We talked a few times about working with a digital library for storage but were never compelled to go beyond what we had in MySQL.

Mike