Seems like what you need is an auto-increment key. Is that out of the question?

On Apr 18, 2006, at 1:34 AM, abhishek jain wrote:
Dear Friends,
I run several processes and they need to query the mysql 5.0.8 database simultaneously .I have a config table which have the record id. I need to
fetch that and increment that .What I feel that the same record id is
fetched by different simultaneosly before i update .Can anyone help me in
either:
1)telling me a single query which will fetch and incr. in the same query. so
the problem of simultaneously queries are solved.
2)A system by which delaying the other queries are done, I use PHP .
Expecting a quick reply.
Thanks,
Abhishek Jain