(again, apologies for the lateness...)

MySQL has a cost-based optimizer.  If it's deciding that a full-table
scan is appropriate, there's a reason.  If more than 30% (approx) of
the table would be returned in a range query, the optimizer reasons
that it's LESS expensive to just do a full table scan.  Otherwise, if
say you're returning 50% of the rows, you have to find the pointer to
the row using the index, then go to the row.  Doing a table scan
eliminates needing that extra step of the index.

Next time full SHOW CREATE TABLE