I think you're thinking of mysqlcheck:
(from the documentation)
-check-upgrade, -g

Invoke CHECK TABLE with the FOR UPGRADE option to check tables for
incompatibilities with the current version of the server. This option
was added in MySQL 5.0.19.

-Sheeri

This is right off the top of my head so I might be wrong!

Does myisamchk not return the mysql version that the table
was created with, if you use a very verbose option to check
the *.MYI files?

You could make a copy of your tables and experiment with
myisamchk on the copies, see if that throws any light on
things.

Regards

Keith Roberts

in practice they are not.