----- Original Message ----- From: "Stephen Cook" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "MySQL List" <mysql@lists.mysql.com>
Sent: Sunday, May 07, 2006 3:53 AM
Subject: PRINT statement?

Is there a statement similar to PRINT in T-SQL (MicroSoft SQL Server)?

It would be handy to debug some scripts.

If you're talking about a script that is running SQL, you can simply use the SELECT statement without any FROM, WHERE, ORDER BY, GROUP BY or HAVING clauses. For example:

   select "Creating Foo table" as "Action";

will produce the following output:

   +----------------------+
   | Action                   |
   +----------------------+
   | Creating Foo table |
   1 row in set (0.00 sec)

If you're talking about an OS script, you can use OS commands to display things. For example, I have some BASH scripts on our Linux server so I can use the BASH echo command, like this:

   #!/bin/bash
   report_date=`/bin/date`
   echo "Report Date:" $report_date;

to produce this output:

   Report Date: Sun May 7 09:42:57 EDT 2006

--
Rhino